Remember that other people, such as older neighbours, friends and family members, may need a bit of extra help over the winter.
Follow these steps to help those around you.
- Read these top tips for keeping warm and well this winter
- Keep in touch. Ask family, friends or neighbours if they need any practical help such as visiting a pharmacy or collecting groceries.
- Ensure elderly relatives are wearing shoes with good grip – to prevent trips and fall. They should also wrap up in warm clothes if going outside. Wearing a scarf over their mouth, will protect cold air getting into their lungs.
- Make sure they get their prescriptions before pharmacies close for Christmas day.
- Make sure they can get to important health appointments. Our NHS-funded patient transport webpage has details of community transport options in mid and south Essex.
If you concerned someone may have hypothermia, need urgent medical help or unsure what to do, contact NHS 111.