Projects that are helping to improve health outcomes for residents living in mid and south Essex have been successful in winning and being highly commended across four categories for a national innovation award.
The winning categories were:
- The Diversity in Innovation award – Essex Vax Van: engaging and communicating with diverse audiences to drive impact.
- Enabling safer systems of care through innovation – Enabling safer care with the ‘Raizer’ emergency lifting chairs.
- Outstanding contribution to population through innovation – Anchoring Southend, putting our community first.
Whilst driving innovation across the Mid and South Essex Health and Care System was highly commended in the Innovative Health System of the Year category.
In total, Mid and South Essex NHS- which includes the Integrated Care System and Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust – was shortlisted in eight categories across a wide variety of projects and programmes.
This is the first time the Innovate Awards have been held, designed to recognise excellence in health and care innovation and help showcase the great projects that are helping patients and residents across Essex.
To win three awards and be highly commended for another is fantastic. I think the variety of awards speaks volumes for the good work from staff throughout the health and care system and the commitment to improve health and wellbeing of our local communities.
Everyone involved should be very proud of getting to the nomination stage and I congratulate everyone who was in these fantastic examples of innovation”.Dr Ronan Fenton, Medical Director for the Mid and South Essex Integrated Care System
The other remaining shortlisted categories were:
- Innovation helping to address health inequalities – national trailblazer for home blood pressure monitoring.
- Innovation spread award – utilisation of Whzan telehealth technology in care homes and virtual wards.
- Excellence in Patient & Public Involvement in Transformation & Innovation – Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, understanding inequality programme.
- Net Zero Innovation of the Year – Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, Broomfield Hospital advanced low carbon cooling
The Innovate Awards took place on 29 September 2022, with awards distributed by judges who are prominent healthcare figures from NHS England, regional NHS trusts and Integrated Care Boards, universities, patient involvement organisations and innovation specialists.