Stopping smoking is one of the best things you will ever do for your health. Quitting is much easier when you get the right support and there are lots of options to choose from.
Never give up on giving up. Every time you try to stop smoking, you’re a step closer to success.
One of the best reasons to quit is the benefit to your own health and wellbeing:
- smoking causes serious health problems, many of them life-threatening
- smoking increases your risk of stroke and heart disease, and your chances of developing respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis and emphysema
- smoking can contribute to several types of cancer (not just lung cancer) and a certain type of leukaemia
- smoking can also damage your ability to conceive and is dangerous for your unborn child if you are pregnant
- smoking can damage the health of your family and friends through breathing second-hand smoke.
Where can I find local help to quit?
Smoking services for Essex residents
Stop Smoking services are available, and free, to everyone living or working in Essex via the Essex Wellbeing Service. You can contact the service by calling 0300 303 9988, emailing email@example.com or completing the online self assessment by clicking the link below.Essex Wellbeing Service
Smoking service for Southend residents
Any smoker who lives or works in the City of Southend-on-Sea is eligible to sign up for Stop Smoking Support. You can call 01702 212000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.Southend smoking services
Smoking services for Thurrock residents
Residents in Thurrock can get support to quit smoking through the Thurrock Healthy Lifestyles Service. You can call 0800 292 2299, email email@example.com or complete the online self referral form by clicking the link below.Thurrock Healthy Lifestyle Service